Thursday, October 1, 2009

Traveling abroad to Kyoto Japan

There is no word to describe the way I felt blindly traveling through the streets of Japan. Everything was different and everyone had completely different customs to what I was used to. Eating on the streets was prohibited, and reserving your emotions was a must. The streets are very quiet and the people hardly ever look happy. I was having issues adjusting at first. I was a different creature to them. Kyoto, Japan is shinning bright with culture, and it was intentionally not destroyed in WWII. It is hard to find another place in Japan that has so elegantly preserved its culture. It took me time but as my trip went on I began to pick up on most of their important practices. When walking on tatami mats you always remove your shoes to help preserve the mat. When your food is served to you, you should begin to eat. In our culture we have a tendency to wait until everyone is served, but the cooks in Japan find it rude to not indulge. These customs are what create the Japanese culture and although it may sound weird to us, we have some of the same things occurring in our society. After spending a month in the country I slowly grew accustom to the every day feel of the city. The most surprising discovery I had on my trip was how weird it felt to go home. I arrived in the US through the Chicago airport. Shorty after is when my culture shock took in. The airport attendants no longer were lending there selves to our beckon call. The security personal yelled at us as we passed through customs. It was a harsh welcome back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.