Basketball. Such a simple game. All you need is a ball, hoop, and court. But that's an oversimplification. It doesn't account for the most fundamental aspect of the game, that it is a team sport. You have to get people organized and set up a game, then go wherever the equipment happens to be. Not that hard to do, but I have never really been good at group activities. So, I never really play that much and when I do it is not all that enjoyable.
Almost all the times I have been a part of a basketball game it was among friends. Yet, nobody wanted me on their team. They all know I am terrible at dribbling, that I rarely am able to point my shots with accuracy, and maybe most importantly, I can't keep up with the movement of the ball very well. So I was usually the last man out on teams.
When the game started (we play half-court, two-on-two), my teammate would begrudgingly pass in the ball to me. Knowing I was a poor player, I would pass it right back. Then he would go on to play two on one, even when I was completely open.
On the off chance that I was passed the ball, I always proved my failure at the sport. Either the ball would sail by me or slip through my hands. When I tried to shoot, the ball would get stolen or give the opposing team an easy shot. My teammate always chastised me. Then I would feel down and play even worse. That's how the games would go. I never really got a chance to get any better.
What I have learned from my limited experience and exposure to basketball, is that it's all about the team and an individual's will and ability to improve their game. If you are no use to the team you will not and cannot be utilized or appreciated as a part of the team. You will just force the others to have to work harder and end up alienating yourself from the group. If you are unable to adapt and improve your skills, you will never get any better.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.