Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Blue Floor

The Cheers from the crowd are getting louder. My team is on deck next to perform. We wait anxiously as the previous team is finishing their routine. It’s time. We file on to that sacred blue floor with great big smiles, our curly high ponytails, and glitter sprayed all over our hair and uniforms. This is what I have been working so hard for the past few months. My nerves are a mess. Yet, I cannot tell if it me being afraid that I will fall on my face or me so excited because I know we have an awesome routine put together.

Many people do not consider cheerleading a sport. I have to say I disagree with that statement. After cheerleading and competing for over 9 years, I know that it takes not only great discipline and hard work but also a skill that you have perfected over and over again to be a cheerleader, especially when competing.

Preparing for my first high school competition competition was strenuous but all exciting at the same time. We were practicing and perfecting our routine months before the competition. We must have gone over the routine and tumbling passes a thousand times. Everyday after school we would be in either the gym or cafeteria, wherever we could find available space to practice, going over and over the routine until we were blue in the face from shouting and so sore our muscles were cramping up.

A week before the competition was crunch time. We had to have the routine perfect! No flaws, or being off a single count was allowed. The competition was almost here and I could hardly believe it. The night before, our whole team would get together and hang out, not practicing our routine, to let our brains, muscles, and voices breathe. This was my second favorite part of competition time.

My favorite part of competition was being out on that blue floor and having all eyes on you. Having my nerves all balled up in my stomach right before the music starts, and knowing that all your hard work was worth it. It was a great feeling to hear the fans cheer you on when you stick that last tumbling pass perfectly. I could never forget that moment or feeling for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.