Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sports Memory

My most glorious sports moment is something that I will remember for the rest of my life.

I was in the seventh grade, and since almost every other player on the Dublin Davis Middle School football team was bigger than me, I received very little playing time. Being a 4’ 10’’ receiver led me to take over most of the blocking duties whenever I had the rare chance to get in the game. I never even saw a pass come close to me, except for one Saturday afternoon against rival Dublin Grizzell Middle School.

The score was tied 7 to 7 at half, and there was little offensive production. I had several friends on the opposing team, so I was extremely eager to get in the game and show them that I can play. Half of the third quarter went by with me still standing on the sidelines. Then it came: the call. Finally the coach realized my capabilities and designed a passing play specifically for me. I lined up on the line of scrimmage, nervous as ever. Not thinking and just reacting to the moment, I sprinted down the field after the ball was snapped, praying for the play to run smoothly. The quarterback made a good pass to the other receiver who was lined up right next to me, and then that receiver chucked a deep pass all the way down field where I was wide open in the end-zone. The ball seemed like it floated in the air forever, and when it finally came down I made sure I secured it. The final score was 14 to 7 in favor of my school, so my glorious touchdown ended up to be the deciding factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.